Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Not by a Cause

I couldn’t help but smile as he spoke. He exhumed confidence, assurance, candor, hope, belief, conviction, and unity. He spoke to a crowd of approximately 125,000. He was a beacon of light illuminating the night.

Though I whole heartedly disagree with his politics, I noticed something unique about his crowd. The crowd was an amalgam. Black standing next to white; Hispanic shoulder to shoulder with black. It was truly a moment that I thought was reserved for the hallows of Eternity when all the Church would be gathered for its eternal reward.

I pray that history will not simply remember that Barack was the first black president. Though the accomplishment of a minority attaining the greatest and most powerful office in the world is unprecedented, in my eyes it was greatly diminished by the crowd that gathered in Chicago, IL to hear the president elect give his acceptance speech.

I pray that history will remember in that particular crowd that there was young and old, black and white, Spanish and Indian, all the colors of the rainbow representing, for the first time since 9/11, a united America. For the first time in a long time, the United States was personified in the masses of unified ethnicities who had banded together, lifted up their voices, set their hands to the plow, and made a unanimous decision to be led by one individual.

How beautiful and breathless and mesmerizing was it to see all those different shades of humanity stand side by side, united not by a cause, but by a dream.

The Apostle Paul told us to pray for those who are in authority over us. I Corinthians 13:1-2 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Barack Obama has stepped into the office of President of the United States of America and is now ordained by God to lead this sovereign nation.

I Timothy 2:1-3 states, I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior.

If you want to please God, you will pray for President Obama and that God’s hand will be on his presidency. It is sin and devilish for you to do otherwise.

Peter writes in I Peter2:12-14, Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.

When the Apostle Peter wrote this, he was not telling Christians to pray for the Emperor of Rome that everyone had come to love and did the will of God and was kind and generous to every citizen, captive, and slave of Rome.

Peter was telling Christians to pray for Nero, the Emperor who martyred Christians by using them as human torches at his parties. We are nowhere close to Martyrdom here in America.

Be RIGHTEOUS! OBEY God! HEED the words of the Apostle’s Paul and Peter! SINCERELY PRAY for President Obama. Just like myself, I’m sure he can use every one of your prayers.

(c) Aaron Brown, 2008.

5 comments:

Ian said...

I think you have to parse those Scriptures more carefully. If taken too literally, they are subversive of their ends. I would limit their application through attention to such phrases as "for the Lord's sake" and submission to governors who "punish wrong and commend right" (paraphrase). This might suggest that where right is punished and wrong commended by the "authorities," Christians reserve a right of resistance.

Anonymous said...

My agrument against your blog is that if he (Obama) is doing something and standing for things that go against my moral fiber and against the precepts of God, I cannot stand with that leader. Yes Obama indeed needs prayer as president of the greatest country in the world, but Obama needs to be one of substance and character. That he does not have in anyway, shape, or form. To be a leader you must have vision and the ever important character. His past associations shed light on his judgment.

PS 1:1 even says, "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers." You would have to be utterly blind to not take into consideration.

He has accomplished nothing as a Senator, he has continually contradicted his so called "Christian faith" by supporting agendas and policies that spit in the face of God and he really has not been tested as a leader. (see infanticide)
He needs to be enlightened by the Holy Spirit and needs to follow the heart of God as a leader. If he chooses not too, he needs to be removed.

Anonymous said...

Also, throughout Obama's campaign he has inspired millions upon millions, but is he leading a revolution that tears apart our constitution founded by Godly men, or is it something that we can go to bed at night, peaceful in our hearts with God knowing we are really doing what God intends for this great land?

I say look at your friends and I say you will see your future. Ayers, Wright, Rezko, Father Flagger, all arise suspicion of Obama's past and his views on society.

Obama is a phenomenon that not many have seen, yet without God being the center of everything, it all means nothing.

Aaron, can you look me in the eye honestly and say Obama is a God-Fearing man who should lead this great country?

RPW said...

Hows it going Aaron? Roy here... Anyways, I noticed this on facebook and gave it a read. I thought this was really well written and I liked your stance on things. I also noticed what you did in that crowd last night... it was amazing.

There are a few things I don't really understand in it but I figure that's because you've probably had alot more training than me in religious studies (my degree is in biology with a focus on evolution) so I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions.

There were two scriptures you quoted (ie. Corinthians 13:1-2 & I Peter2:12-14) that were giving me a little trouble. When I read them, and they seemed to imply that basically God controls all thus it is a sin to rebel against any authority since it is god's will that it is in place.

That's kinda giving me trouble... Does that mean that the people who were involved in rebellions against oppressive governments were sinning? I could never call our rebellion against England a sin, I couldn't call the Roman Slave rebellion a sin, and I couldn't imagine anybody could call any of the jewish uprisings or the white rose movement during WW2 a sin. Did I miss something here or did I take all of this to literally?

RPW said...

And now that I've read the comments, I have a few questions for roger b...

Why is Obama not a man of substance and character? Is it because he voted against the Partial-birth abortion ban? I to this day still can't believe how poorly written that law was. It in no way takes into account the health of the mother and came very close to compromising established NICU(neonatal intensive care unit) guidelines of care in this country.

Where does this idea of tearing apart the constitution come from? Obama was a professor of constitutional law for 12 years. It seems that those who would forget the First Amendment (separation of church and state) are far closer to tearing down the constitution than he is...

I hope that the idea of "Not my exact belief = BAD" isn't spreading in the Christian Community in America because if it is I fear that someday fascism may come to American, and that it will be hidden under the flag of Christianity...